Monday, May 21, 2012

Sector Assignments


Today was our first real day to start planning the event at ILVO. We got placed in one of the divisions, and I got animal science/agricultural engineering. I have  knowledge in this area, but I felt that I could have better suited the food pilot plant with my food safety lab experience. Oh well, Kelly got the same group so that will be fun! :)

The only problem is that [name] is trampling on the rest of us. Every idea I put forth today, I felt like he thought was pure crap. Every time I said something to him he acknowledged that he heard me, but that was pretty much it. It really upset me that he said “I” more times today than he said “we.”

At the end of the day, I got to talk with Cassandra and Dr. Edgar. They said they were more worried about me than anyone else, which was kind of upsetting to me. Yes, I have been homesick, but I didn’t know that I was making them worry so much. I’ve always been a very independent person, so it made me a little upset that they felt they had to worry about me. I know that their hearts were in the right place and they just wanted me to be ok, but it made me feel weak.

I was also really upset when Dr. Edgar said she was worried about my drinking. It is Belgian culture to drink because the legal age here is 16. I just wanted to get a taste of the culture and the famous Belgian beers. I have never had more than one in a day, so when she told me this it really upset me because I don’t want her and the other teachers to have a bad opinion of me. They also said they thought it was because I was lonely, which is not the case. I just feel really bad about everything they had to say. I feel like they have a bad opinion of me and I don’t think I will be drinking anymore on this trip.

On a brighter note, I just got done having dinner with my host siblings, Sarah, Elyne, and Thijs. It was really good, and now I am relaxing on the couch. I will probably get to go to bed early tonight.

I love and miss you Mom, Dad, Katie, Laura, Beckett, and Josh :) see you soon! only 17 days until I am home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment