Saturday, May 19, 2012

Potatoes, Pastries, and Pigs


We visited two farms today. The first one was a beautiful vegetable farm with a cozy bed and breakfast.


At this farm, they grow potatoes, wheat, sugar beets, and herbs. It was amazing learning about the way of farming in Belgium. Most of the farms here have been in the family for generations. The owner of this farm acquired it from his father, and he hopes that his son will take it from him one day.

One of the coolest things about this farm is that it grows potatoes for Lays.


One day, this little guy will be potato chips! Another interesting thing was the cost of all of the equipment. This machine cost 500,000 euros!! All it is used for is spraying pesticides and other fertilizers on the fields.


Then, we went to the ocean for lunch. I had the best eclair ever at a little Belgian bakery! And I did something I thought I would never… I ate horse!!!! Yes, I know that sounds totally crazy, but it actually didn’t taste too bad. It was a horse salami with lots of spices in it. My good friend, Kelly, loves horses, so she wasn’t happy with me at lunch time.

We concluded our day with a pig farm!


Now that we are getting to spend more time with the group, I’m starting to feel much better about my stay here in Belgium. I’m still very homesick and I miss my family very much, but I am going to make this the best experience possible while I am here for 3 weeks. I will probably never have the chance to come to Europe again, so I hope that I can get over my sadness and enjoy my time. Plus, they always say that time flies when you’re having fun! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment