Thursday, April 12, 2012

Event Planning - Know Your Food


Dr. Andy Proctor, Director of International Programs for Bumpers College, and a man from the University of Ghent came to talk to us today. This was really cool for me because I got to ask a native Belgian about their culture.

These are the basic logistics of Belgium from a Belgian perspective:
  • small farms, <50 acres
  • intensive agriculture
  • heavily computerized
  • lots of pork
  • more animals than people
  • strict rules from Flemish government
  • primary land uses – feed for animals, barley, potatoes
The agency we will be working with, ILVO, is like the USDA of Belgium. I found it very interesting that chips and soda are expensive there because they are a horticultural society. Fruits and vegetables can be purchased relatively cheap.

While we’re in Belgium, we will be planning exhibits for a convention called “Know Your Food” that will be put on by ILVO in October. From my understanding, each of us will be responsible for our own display focusing on a specific food. As a Poultry Science student, I was naturally curious about the poultry industry in Belgium. I was told that poultry is popular, like pork, because it is cheap. Hopefully I’ll be able to do some planning on a poultry display board.

One month to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment